Friday 9 October 2015

Time-Out

It feels like it should be time to draw breath, but I need to be quick. 

It's the best time of year for me, Autumn approaches and the days are clear and crisp, the nights bright and dry (mostly). I love it.

Scotland first and a week on Orkney. One cheap hire bike later and I managed a couple of sixty milers on consecutive days around the 'mainland' with a few tourist stops at places like the Ring of Brodgar (below). Not that hilly actually, but the wind was troublesome. I am not complaining because at least I avoided the rain. 


Back from Orkney late Thursday and off to France early on Friday for a cycling weekend. Unfortunately, my bag (complete with pedals and a few other essentials) didn't arrive in Gatwick until the following week, so I had to share Molly's toothbrush for the weekend. 

Great weather, plenty of easy miles and compulsory / regular stops at cafe's, pubs and restaurants. About 100 miles, 20 pints, some poor behaviour and no accidents. Perfect, except for being in a French pub when we lose to them at Rugby. Drat.



We're back home, but miss the club ride at the weekend, so I go out for a quick solo century. A big circular route via Gatwick, Ditchling Beacon, Brighton (breakfast) and Alfriston. 

09:20 in Brighton, sunny and warm, 56 miles done, egg yolk down jersey from breakfast...



Wales next and three days in Rhayader while I run some training workshops. I arrive late on Monday and can't stop myself from a full tour of Talwrn Wood, Puke Hill, Bonk Hill and the Golf Links. The whole area is a great mixture of quiet roads, bridleways, double track, single track, off piste and BOAT's. 

Coming off the moor, into Talwrn Wood and spotting Puke Hill - a brutal ribbon of tarmac that requires 'le granny' and during which you hope not to have to exchange pleasantries with anyone.



Day 2 in Wales and I am feeling rather jaded after yesterday, so (bizarrely) decide on a hill climb evening. Up the Golf Links this time and I manage to clean it all and feel somewhat better by half way. So much so, that I cut across to the Mountain Road, through the ford and climb up past the Roman Camp (cleaned it) and down Bonk. A gentle spin back to base along the reservoirs and old railway bed (NCR 8 - a masterpiece) to the pub.

Day 3 and I think I am back in the game. Let's climb the Links again, then across to the lower ford and climb up to Rydoldog (cleaned that too !) and then towards Crugyn. I normally swing south east at the bridleway junction and head off towards 'home' and I don't know why I carried on, but glad I did. A smooth, fast, grassy descent took me all the way across to the reservoirs and some magnificent views over my favourite riding area. 

Before the last descent I take stock, check the map, the clock and decide where to go next. Off to my left is an old nemesis and one that has beaten better men than me, but the conditions are great, it has been dry for a while and i am feeling OK, so I decide to have a pop at Black Cottage Climb and, apart from one dab, I got up that too ! Good lord it is a long one though, hardly any let up and loads of places where you can slip up. From the top, there are a few boggy bits on the way to a magnificent fast rocky descent to the road, then off through the Oak Wood and back in the pub by 21:30. Knackered but Happy.

Off to Brecon next and after work I embark upon the long, grinding, mild-monster of a doable climb from Talybont on Usk to the Gap, via Pontsticill Reservoir. I run out of time and with darkness approaching and too much to do to complete the circuit I turned round and went to eat. Really enjoyed the climb, but the 'down' was a wrist-shattering cobbled judder of a rock-fest. Very uncomfortable and quite boring. Memo to self - make sure I have enough time to complete this on the next attempt !

Talybont on Usk - is waaaay down there after that second hill ...



Home for the weekend and a few weeks in the office and local trips. I do need to keep the miles ticking over ready for the next event, so I squeeze in one big ride each week (100 miles plus or minus a few), including a charity London to Brighton with my good mate Graeme (below centre in kilt!) who has just been given the all clear after kicking the arse of cancer and was using the event as his comeback gig. Good job mate on both counts and a pleasure to ride with you.



I ride the London to Brighton with Simon from the club and we peel off after the photo for breakfast and then ride home - a respectable 108 miles all-in. 

Replacement tyres the next week. HOW MUCH ! WTF ? Only had them a few months, but checking the ride log I have done about 4000 this year so far. Maybe they really are worn out then !

Tapering week is nearly upon me and I fit in two hundred's and three spin classes in six days before I wind down in preparation for a very important return fixture.   

1 comment: