Thursday 14 January 2010

Just gotta ride.


Things are moving quickly and there's little time to fit stuff in.

The snow has caused a few problems for a lot of people but we have been fine thanks to the Disco that has safely transported us all over the place over the last two weeks.

I've been desperate to ride because the letter arrived from the hospital last week and the arthroscopy is on Jan 18th !! A few weeks with little real exercise looms and I know I'll be tetchy. The weekend conspired against us and all the daylight was used up with essential jobs and errands and so there was nothing left to try than a night ride. A few phone calls later and I was still convinced a night ride was a good idea, but no one else was. So I went out on my own.

They say the Panaracer Trailrakers were made especially for the UK mud, but they're pretty good in the snow too. Having said that, the conditions were pretty perfect, with a few inches of fresh snow on top of the hard pack. I had good grip throughout, no slips, no falls, no mishaps. Hard work though. I didn't see another soul out there, in fact the roads were virtually deserted and the few vehicles I did see were taking it very easy just like me.

I would like to say that whole route was glorious singletrack with virgin snow and no footprints, but that wouldn't be true. It's too crowded around here to find all that sort of thing too often.


But, I got out and burnt a few calories and that was a bonus.

Just back from the hospital having had my Pre-Op assessment. Had the usual checks, plus an ECG (over 50 year olds only I guess) and good news - the BP is fine at 120/72 and RHR 46 (and that makes me quite athletic don't you know) but I'm still in the obese sector. Surprised that the fat nurse breaking the news to me wasn't more embarrassed. She was my weight and 5' 4" !! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment