Tuesday 16 February 2010

Just when things are looking up ...

.. you get a reminder to keep your wits about you !

Please excuse the shocker at right .. I can't believe that I didn't see that f******* pot hole in the road. The bloody thing was three feet across and about 7 inches deep. I hit it doing about 25 mph, then flew over the bars and twenty feet up the road (apparently).

Luckily I was out with Mick and Stuart on the weekly night ride - but on a road section that links the more interesting off-road bits. That is not to infer that the road bits are less interesting !

I was unconscious for a while, covered in 'claret' and didn't know what day it was.

A free Ambulance ride later, I'm in the hospital, immobilised, being fussed over by the overworked casualty department and, eventually, got home after being checked over, cleaned up and seven stiches inserted in my head. Thank God I ALWAYS wear a helmet or it could have been much more serious.

So - I have a wrecked wheel, helmet, glasses, jersey, tights, headlamp and overshoes and I scratched just about everywhere else - both body and bike. I feel like I have been trampled by a herd of migrating wildebeest and I am less attractive / more distinctive (delete as appropriate) than before. However, I live to fight another day.

As always, I had my camera on board and, thankfully, it was undamaged. Action photographs were taken throughout by the Ambulance staff and, later, by Molly and Stu when they arrived at the Hospital to check me out and pick me up. Thanks for your help Stu & Mick - I really appreciate it. Molly, what would I do without you ...

The pot hole has been reported and the claim form is on the way. Watch this space.

5 comments:

  1. *ouch* Fred i'm glad to hear that you are alright!! Nothing like a war wound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another war wound you mean ! Luckily they are all on my face where it doesn't make much difference.

    I have just had the stitches out so I can now get my helmet on. It looks like the Friday night ride is on ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred, the tattoo was to make you more distinctive!! This is why you ride in groups but in the back. Glad to hear you are healing quickly. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Dave.

    Pretty much back to 'normal' now and last Friday night went without a hitch .. wet and muddy but uneventful ! (But I was still at the front ...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God you were not on the Yeti ARC. Don't think I could stand to see her hurt. You'll heal.

    ReplyDelete