Tuesday 5 April 2011

Dirt Divas

After another stupid-busy week of three meetings, four presentations, two days on site, 1085 miles driving and two night rides, I got home late and really didn't want to go out on Saturday night. We did though and, after a lovely evening with friends, we crawled into bed at 00:35. The alarm went off at 06:15, we didn't want to move, but a potentially exciting day dawned. Molly was off to attend a Mountain Bike Skills course with the Dirt Divas (http://www.dirtdivas.co.uk/ and 0118 326 2200) and, after dropping her off, I was on the way to the first round of the Southern XC Champs in Checkendon.

I am sure that the main differences between girls and boys is strength and confidence - ability and skill will invariably compare favourably, but girls just don't realise it ! That was the reason for Molly's course, to unlock some of that potential and to get the mind into 'can do' mode.

Molly in the 'attack' position, looking just like someone who can ride a bike quite well ... just drop that rear heel a tad :-) (Pic - courtesy of the DirtDivas)

After the registration at Wellington College, there was full day of riding in Swinley Forest with basic skills training, body positioning, balance, braking techniques, small steps, drops, roots etc. There was a good portion of enthusiasm after the event, helped in no small part by the excellent weather and huge thanks to the girls and boys at Dirt Divas for a very valuable day out. They do all sorts of courses over there, from beginners classes to private tuition and it was a very valuable experience - partly because Molly now knows she is pretty good on a bike :-)

I left Molly and arrived at the race venue in plenty of time for my 12:36 start time and so had the opportunity to wander around, get a feel for the event and subtly check out other-peoples' tyre choice. The web site suggests a gentle spin round the course before the event .. yeh right, I think I'll save my energy and speak to a few who did.

I had already checked out the area with a call to my racing mates, Jason and Sarah, and they had said go hardtail as it's flat (ish) and dry (ish), so I took the ARC with some summer rubber fitted.


With so much time available, I had nearly an hour to warm up before I turned up at the start area to meet the other 17 or 18 old folk, two-thirds of whom looked mighty fine in team kit astride featherweight bikes. These guys were Elite level 20 years ago and they haven't slowed down much if you compare their times to the young-uns, I knew this would be the last time I saw them, unless I got lapped !

There were a few 'others' in the race like myself, but not many. The web site said regular racers can expect to complete a lap in about 30 minutes, so I had a mental target of two hours for the three laps. I set off at the back and just rode best I could. I managed three laps of 28:33, 30:51 and 30:11 and was 18:30 behind the winner and in 11th place.


I was chuffed to bits as I beat a few and there were a couple of DNF's. Unfortunately, I forgot to show my race card at registration and have, perhaps, missed the   chance of some series points !!

It was good experience with a group of very friendly guys and I hope to attend a few more as the season progresses. It gives me something to aim for as my fitness improves. I am not bothered about 'beating' anyone, but would like to be proportionately closer to the winner's time on the next occasion.

This week I am mostly back to skills training and lesson planning. TCL assessment on Friday week.

No comments:

Post a Comment