Tuesday 26 April 2011

Trail Cycle Leader Assessment

I arrived in Coniston at tea time on Wednesday, booked into the really good Lakeland House (015394 41303) and then went straight out for a final practice session. I had my lesson plans stored away in my head and had been talking to myself for a few weeks whilst practising skills I didn't have and never thought I would need. 

After a nice, but expensive, pub meal in the Black Bull and an obligatory pint of Bluebird, I was in bed early reading my manual. Thursday started with a fry-up at the B+B and I left to go ride - no real plan, no real route, no company, no time-limit and no pressure. What a great day, just riding along with one spare tube, one water bottle, one MP3 player and two snack bars, nodding at the odd other person and talking to no-one. Tired and filthy, I then spent a couple of hours cleaning and checking the bike and assembling the gear for the following day. Big thanks to John & Susan Holland at Lakeland House who couldn't do enough to help during the stay. They were even delivering steaming mugs of latte to the hastily created bike-wash area whilst whisking my gear off to the drying room for me.

Up early, check gear, wolf down a healthy slow-burn breakfast and off to meet up with Rich and the other guys on the course.

The first bit was like an attack of deja-vu .. the kit check. I thought I was back in the Marines ! We had a list of what was expected, so the first 'tick' was easily won. We had a briefing about the day's agenda and weather forecast from Stuart who was leading the first leg and we were off into the morning mist, just like a ride with a set of new mates.

All smiles, all day - me and Yoda.

I took charge of the second leg without mis-adventure, Robin guided us after that and Malcolm led us home. Stuart took us through the non-weight shift drills, I passed on my considerable knowledge about the track stand, Robin coached us on the manual and Malcolm thrashed us round a local car park doing front / rear wheel lifts.

Waiting for the gate, in perfect balance ! The crowd looks on ...



Mucky and a bit tired, we pose for the course photo back at Coniston. L-R Robin, Me, Rich, Stuart and Malcolm.



The de-brief took place in the Bluebird cafe over a coffee and I was delighted to get a 'strong pass'. The basic skills have come on a lot since I started on this road but what i need to do now is keep working at them until they simply appear, as if by magic, every time I need them. 

A massive thank-you to all the guys at Cyclewise. Especially Sue for making it all happen and answering the stupid questions and Rich (again) for putting it all into context. You would have to go a long way to find better ambassadors for our sport.

What's next ? Well, I have some new rules of cycling :

1. I will use my new skills.
2. I will practice every time I ride.
3. I will ride flats unless racing (aka riding with a number on the bike).
4. I will have all the basics dialled (sorted) this summer.
5. I will master the bunny-hop. 
6. I will buy a spoke key and learn to use it.

Then, I will book onto the MBL course.

2 comments:

  1. Hi There
    What trails did you do ?

    Cheers
    Davey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Davey,

    The course was based at the Cyclewise shop / classroom in Whinlatter on the first day with a bit of local riding. Day two was a route out of Keswick.

    The Assessment was out of Coniston. If you e-mail, I can give you the details / send maps.

    fred.simpson@tiscali.co.uk

    Cheers

    Fred

    ReplyDelete