Wednesday 5 January 2011

Only One Speed .. slow !

In order to assist the the winter fitness programme I decided to go monocog. The latest, updated member of the stable is now back-together and comprising of cheap, functional bits - some left over from other projects - draped on the re-sprayed XTC 860 frame. I got my inspiration from the beloved Yeti ARC (er, a straight copy actually) and the painting has been done by fellow Tribe-member Jamie at DoobyDoo Designs (jamie.brockway1@btopenworld.com). He does some very cool custom helmets too, so check him out.

I went cheap by design and opted for laser-cut, stick on graphics with a laquer coating, instead of the airbrushed graphics that would have been my choice on one of the long-term rides.

Looks sweet doesn't it ?

The whole exercise was a useful one as I put the bike back together with only basic knowledge and a bit of reading. However, I now have a bit more skill and a few more tools. I replaced the headset with a new one from FSA and updated the cockpit with some Nuke-Proof gear. I don't have a problem spending good money on CK headsets and the like, but I struggle with spending on Thomson, when lots of other stuff is arguably as stiff, light and good - for me anyway. I thought I would give the Nuke gear a trial over the winter and perhaps use it on the ASR 5 come the Spring.

The single-speed gubbins came from Charlie at http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/ (+44 1929 475833). Charlie is a most helpful chap and has a few sensible videos on YouTube to back up any gaps in your knowledge. I have started with the 16t out back. The kit came with a 17t for 'hilly' conditions - I'm not sure where you draw the line ?!

The first ride resulted in some minor fettling on the trail and another chain-link being removed a good few miles from home, but the adjustments appear to have worked. No problems since.

Molly and I rode yesterday - an easy 16 miles with the sole intention of staying clean and enjoying some coffee - and then she kindly drove off to a pre-arranged RV so I could have some 'turn and gurn' time. I only did about six extra, uphill miles but managed to ride the whole way on a route where I had been taking the 'granny' option in the past. No choices now. The idea is that I will either a. get much fitter over the winter or b. I shall be put off biking altogether.

By Easter there may be a Giant SS on E-Bay or I'll be saving up for some gears!

The next question is whether to take it out on Friday for the night ride with Mike and Stuart ? We are all off-the-boil after Christmas, so there may not be a better time to try it and not get my ar$e kicked too badly .... but I may change to 17t before I leave the house :-)

2 comments:

  1. I am torn. The FF, SS looks sweet and I would like to ride the steed. BUT, the Yeti colours and Giant marriage....was Michael Jackson white? Confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but what if it is an experiment to assess the quality of such work prior to a custom paint-job on a real bike ... :-)

    Long term plans include running the ARC as a SS next winter, scrap the fake and source a modern 575 frame for a makeover. You got any spares ? Your old 'medium' fealt pretty good !

    Three hours, no gears on Friday night. Wasted at the end of it and legs like mush

    When does the circus get into town ?

    ReplyDelete