Thursday 27 May 2010

Back to life

Back to reality. It always takes a day or two to get back into it but we are getting there.

Work is hectic and nothing is easy these days with the economic gloom and the general lack of consumer confidence but, being a salesman, I remain positive of mind in all matters.

We bimbled round our little 'road' loop on Tuesday night (complete with photo-call during the woodland detour), went to a Body Pump / Spin class combo Wednesday, did Body Balance (Yoga-style flexibility and core strength training for saga athletes) on Thursday and then dived into a busy and social Bank Holiday weekend. Must get the balance right, ride lots and tick a few jobs off - the answer is to cram it all in.


Dinner with friends on Friday night was planned and there was just enough time for me to hammer (more of a 'gentle tap' really) the little road curcuit on the ARC before my shower. We then enjoyed some well-earned relaxation, good food, great company and the chance to look at a million underwater pictures from their latest diving holiday in the Maldives.

Saturday - we had planned a long ride in the morning, lunch at a local farm shop / cafe and then Molly was to drive to visit her Dad and I would cycle there. Don't you love plan B .. it honked down, so we had a lie in and re-joined the plan at the cafe and I rode in the rain with a murderous head-wind that appeared to be there no matter which way I was facing. Really poor visibility on the South Downs, less than 100 yds in places, but a surprising number of hardy souls out stretching their legs. I helped two foreign ladies with some directions because they had missed Alfriston completely ! Feeling pleased with myself, I put the ear phones back in and carried on .. but at the cut off point for the Alfriston path, I noticed the old bridleway marker post (that I referred to during my directions) was missing. So I stopped again, waited for them to catch up and made sure they went in the right direction - they should have made Badgers tea room an hour later with luck.

The twenty odd miles was hard work but the rain stopped at the skin and I got some miles in the bank before Saturday's BBQ. Er, also in the rain.

Sunday was Golf early on and I played OK (to handicap) and then straight to an afternoon BBQ with excessive red wine, which turned into an evening BBQ with more red wine. Kind friends collected us mid-afternoon and another set of kind friends poured us out at the house afterwards. Arrived home 20:50, in bed 20:55, asleep two minutes later ...

We decided to crack a few chores on Monday and dived headlong into gardening, tidying up and hedge trimming. The neighbour came out and, mistaking me for a contractor, asked me to cut hers .. Molly then told her I had been living there, with her, for over a year ! I hadn't seen her during that time either.

With a couple of hours spare before we left for the Rose of Bengal in Crowborough (+ 44 1892 653183) I changed to summer rubber (Conti Race Kings) on the ARC and went round the little road loop twice. 18 miles in 66 minutes. Ok I guess, could try harder.

This was the first full week back to exercise with the repaired knee. It's not back to normal and perhaps never will be. Most of the back of the left medial has been removed, so I guess I just have to manage it and be realistic. Back at work and not too sore, so I guess all is going in the right direction.

2 comments:

  1. Looking green over there! Very nice! Sounds like you are getting some good riding in.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we get out, it's really good, but there is always something in the way !

    None of this preparation will stop you guys ripping my legs off in August though ... can't wait.

    ReplyDelete