Friday 14 May 2010

Beacon Hill

I had been rushing around up north all week and the last thing needed was a meeting on a Friday afternoon. Late home, bugger ...

Then I found out where the meeting was and spirits lifted. A 13:00 meeting in Southampton would mean not getting back to work, but riding the western end of the Downs was an option.

Molly came along and, after work, we headed off to Stoughton, near Chichester to ride half of an excellent XC route that takes in Beacon Hill (overlooking South Harting). It's a route I found in WMB and have used it, and many variations of it, several times over the last few years.

This route takes in some lovely English countryside and this being my favourite time of year, we are treated to the dappled sunlight shining down through the budding canopy and lighting up the spring flowers. I guess you have to be as old as me to appreciate how beautiful it all is.

The route starts with a short warm up and then the climb up Stoughton Down. There are several options but none too onerous and it's middle ring stuff, even for us old folk. Over the top and then there is a fast downhill under / through the trees and over the roots, with a nice bit of singletrack thrown in at the bottom for good measure. Across the B1421 and head North up the backroads and then through the woods past the gorgeous wild plant sanctuary towards the SDW. (I'll look up the name of the wood later!)

This area is sooooo different this time of year. I last rode this in the rain with Adrian and Andrew, came off twice after losing control on the wet and compacted chalk and cut my head and arm when I landed on a bit of broken flint. There was so much blood, and such a big bump, that the chaps even washed my bike and cleaned my gear for me while I had a beer ! This time it was bone-dry and we were flat out.

We left the road again and tackled the long but gentle climb up onto the Downs and then along the SDW. It's not all as boring as it looks here by the way, but you get the quick miles in on the way to next good bit.

A fast drop down to Hooksway led us back to tarmac and we made our way by road back to Stoughton as the light faded.

Stoughton is home to the Hare & Hounds (+ 44 2392 631433). Nice, try it - but bring your credit card though, because it's restaurant prices. You do, however, get what you pay for.

A great end to a great day.

Next ? Golf in Spain for a week. Volcano permitting. I'm just off to see if Alicante is still open.

No comments:

Post a Comment