Wednesday 5 May 2010

Chase the monkey.

I was due to make a 'comedy' diversion from Liverpool to Cumbria on the way to Rugby this afternoon, but the appointment was cancelled. I had planned to ride the North Face trail in Grizedale after work but, no matter, I opted to visit Cannock Chase and ride the bite-sized 'Follow the Dog' instead - it was en route.

They have been busy. The section at the start has been re-opened, complete with repaired board-walk and they have installed some new rock steps to stave off the inevitable erosion on the run-in.

I had thought that I would take it steady and see how the knee is and, all being well, may go round it twice. A few funny twinges under the knee-cap, but no real problem, although I was careful to keep it smooth (ish).

Now, there's no point being poncy about Trail Centres. We all ride bikes, so why criticize what turns someone else on ? This area has been developed to allow bike riding along side the commercial operation of farming trees. What's to dislike ?

What I really like are these trail markers. The key to 'follow the dot' riding. First bit of info is the grid reference, especially for those of us that know what a map is - excellent. If the sun's out I can generally keep track of orientation, if it's dull I have no idea which direction I'm heading after threading through trees for an hour !

'Bikes only' is a good message, walkers have their own paths too and the details of nearest escape route and hospital (with telephone number) completes the picture. I approve.

Half an hour in, I stumbled across the relatively new additional loop 'Chase the Monkey' and decided to give it a go and, I have to say, I was very impressed. It's early days and the trail doesn't suffer from the braking bumps created on the Dog - no doubt by people going much faster than me - but I reckon they have done a good job. There is some great singletrack, good climbs with tight switch-backs and some cracking downhill with wonderful flow (listen to me...).

The finale, before you rejoin the Dog, is a roller coaster down a steep hillside, through the trees with big fast berms and some nice tabletops and rollers. This was my first foray on such a route with flat pedals and what an education ! Obviously I cannot really ride a bike at all and envy those who can sample some air and not lose touch with the bike. Having said that, a few more rides on the hardtail with flats and I will be much faster clipped into the 575, both up and down :-)

I arrived at the hotel to be denied car parking because the hotel appears to have more rooms than car parking spaces. They suggested I park on the road, I decided that would be fine if I could make provision to secure the bike. Negotiations faltered, so I am now sharing my room with the Giant, much to the disgust of the apoplectic manager. They should think themselves lucky, if i had a Yeti with me, it would have been on the bed !

All that remains is to enjoy my glass of wine, relax and see how it all feels when I wake up. I hope the recovery continues.

2 comments:

  1. No charge for the following words of wisdom.....1.The boardwalks freak me out. Protect the tat at all cost. 2.Good thing there are no aligators waiting for you to fall off the boardwalks. My biggest fear. 3. Tylonol rules and then there is Vicodin. 4. Remember the Giant is slewed by Goliath. The Yeti runs free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a training pamphlet for boardwalk skills and shall be bringing it over in the summer. Teach you to ride ladders I will ... dude.

    ReplyDelete